Wednesday, April 18, 2007

wise fellows






I was on break at work last night and found this old jewel while reading:
"There are four things which are little on the earth, but they are exceedingly wise: the ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their food in the summer;
the rock badgers are a feeble folk, yet they make their homes in the crags;
the locusts have no king, yet they all advance in ranks;
the spider skillfully grasps with its hands, and it is in kings' palaces."
Proverbs 30:24-28
I got all dreamy and so far away when I read this!!! I had it all circled and starred and underlined but sometimes I just forget ya know? Guess that's why it's a book to read for a whole lifetime.. I used to be quite obsessed with fantasy reading before I was a Christian. I couldn't get enough of celtic fairy lore, fairytales in general, and so on. I loved the imagery and the magic; fauns, faeiries, gnomes, elves, little people... Now I know that all the magic I can handle is graced on the pages of the Bible. There's enough real wonder visible with the human eye that I don't need to dream of a beyond here on earth. I never knew this kind of stuff was in the Bible! My only impression in childhood was dry liturgical repetition I heard in church and I wanted nothing to do with it. How marvelous to discover the actual Word for myself and what treasures it held for me! So, the pictures above: leafcutter ants are simply brilliant creatures. My husband is an endless vat of random and amazing facts. He said leafcutters put the leaves in their nest to grow fungus on that they eat. Little farmers! He saw them in Belize long ago and thought the leaves were all walking around in the jungle. Then he told me about the garden spider. Apparently these little guys have a number of different webs they make for different purposes, and one they can cast into the air and ride like a hang-glider for thousands of miles! Can you even deal with that? I used pictures of webs instead of the spider itself in case Carrie sees this... Anyhow, I could go on and on about exciting facts about these lil' fellows o' wisdom, but alas, i'm trying to battle the urge to marathon post. I found some pretty deep spiritual analogies that go with each of these examples, but i'll leave that to your own discovery.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking about getting the boy's nose onto some poetry this summer (something sorely neglected by the public school system) and I thought it would be fun to look at some Biblical passages as poetry- which some of it truly is!

Great post, Dani!

Are you trying to get in a lot of bloggin before you leave for the Philippines?

9:55 AM  
Blogger Cacturne said...

ya kinda lost me there at celtic fairy lore.

8:13 PM  
Blogger TWaits said...

True story: I helped a friend build his house about 4 years ago. He wanted to test the line about spiders in king's palaces. He had me caulk and seal EVERY seam between the studs and the sheeting of the house. All of the sill plates had foam seals and an additional layer of caulking. About two months later, there were cobwebs EVERYWHERE in the house. That was neat.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Beba said...

Very true! I like this post. Bible is eternal book, meaning that every time, i read Bible discover something new!

3:01 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

So now you're building houses for royalty Twaits? Cacturne...Cacturne...
Beba, you are so amazing..

5:48 AM  
Blogger bluemountainmama said...

dani- this reminds me of one of fred first's post about flying spiders. you can read it here:
http://www.fragmentsfromfloyd.com/archives/2002_09.html

then you have to scroll way down until you find the post titled "gossamer days". it's worth the trip over.....

9:00 AM  
Blogger A said...

I don't like bugs. Ants. Spiders. Not a bit. But I love you. So post I do!

A

9:52 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

bluemountainmama, I tried to find that link but it said it was unavailable. Unfortunate! I love amazing creation facts and can't get enough!
A, it was my impression from your silverfish post that you were on your way to school for your entomology career? Change of plans?

3:30 AM  
Blogger bluemountainmama said...

dani- that's wierd...it worked for me just now when i copied and pasted it. maybe try again.....

and i'm interested in learning more about your trip to the philippines....is it a mission trip?

4:57 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I want to hear more about your trip, too!

I really enjoyed your latest post. Beautiful pictures and wonderful words. Thank you.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Flower said...

Lovely post Dani..I love them pictures as well..the webs are so beautiful :)
Hope you have a nice weekend :O)
xoxox

11:05 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Hi Bluemountainmama and Beverly! I'll whip up a Philippines post now, my pleasure!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

How incredible! As many times as I read Proverbs, and it never stuck out to me in that way before! You sent me running to my Bible this morning, and that's a good thing...

6:10 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

elise, that is so adorable! Isn't it nuts how brand new every read through is?

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home