Monday, April 23, 2007

A Privilege





Hello friends! I recently received a request from two sweet ladies, bluemountainmama and Beverly, to do a post about the Philippines trip we are about to embark on. The question was whether this was a mission trip and yes indeed it is. I can't believe I haven't posted about this yet! It's only been the most exciting and incredible thing I've been looking forward to for 3 years now!! We are three weeks away from leaving and will be gone for 3 months. My husband is in the school of ministry at our church and is required to complete a long term trip before graduation. We are going with another couple for the full term, and our pastor, his wife, and one other couple will join us for the first 3 weeks to help us get adjusted and do ministry with us. Our purpose is not only to reach the lost with the gospel and give disciples there the means to teach themselves, but mostly to learn from them! They have so much to teach us and we get the opportunity to grow in tremendous ways as a ministry couple. We see this as the highest privilege and an honor greater than my dreams have ever imagined. If you could have known me or perhaps read what I might have posted about some 4 years back in the B.C. days, you'd be just as astonished as I am that someone like me gets to do something this incredible. My husband and I are just a wee little part in this, as our church as a whole has made this all happen. The photos above show the mission center our little fellowship built on the top of a mountain! We get to live there! It's called Shofar, and in one of them you can see the little blue truck they built for us from scratch that will get us around. We are on Cebu island and way out in the out there. In the most beautiful and only-God-could-pull-this-off way, we have built a radio station on top of the mission center (4th photo is the radio room to be). We get to flip the switch in 3 weeks! We're talking a 200 ft. tower with a 1000 watt range!! We have a 100 watt station at our church here at home and a talented and dedicated radio staff of servants that have been busting their chops to get this thing ready to fly when we go. We all can't believe what God lets us do! Other stuff we get to be a part of while there: teaching regular discipleship classes, touring with a local band for a few weekends (this started out as a gig in a bandshell park and is now happening at their civic center!), handing out radios locked into our new station, teaching the Bible to children in mountain village schools (little to no english spoken), taking on a project to help locals in some way (last year the crew built sturdy walls around the little house of a family of 10 or so), and whatever else comes our way. It will be a challenge to all my comforts and normalities and much hard work, but no complaining here! I'm looking forward to that, stretching and growing and seeing what God has for us there. We by no means deserve any of this, but He is such a good Father and loves to give good gifts to His kids! The two joyfuls in the photo with the goat are our pastor and his wife. Aren't they so adorable with that little guy? Well, I suppose that's all as this is a once again record-breaking marathon post. Thanks for asking about the trip ladies! It's a real honor to share what God is doing in my life. So long for now..

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger TWaits said...

You are about to embark on something more cool and amazing than you could ever fathom, but, I'm worried about the guy carrying the goat.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also- for those of you who may not have noticed the link on Dani's page to the Shofar blog (our church's missions center in the Philippines) you can also get to it by clicking here.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely post, Dani! I love the picture of our devoted pastor and wife! Somehow, the goat and egg shells are fitting accessories for them!!!

I thought I'd stretch my comment into two comments so you'd feel extra special and loved.

10:44 AM  
Blogger S.B.G. said...

I'm so excited for you guys and the blessings that await you when you venture out on this three month long life changing journey!

6:07 PM  
Blogger S.B.G. said...

And the breathtaking view (pic 2)is an especially wonderful thing to be waking up to each and every morning you're there--a wonderful reminder of His beautiful creation :-)

I double commented like LP--not on purpose though just because as I clicked I remembered I had more to comment on :-). Sometimes I'm a wee bit forgetful...

6:12 PM  
Blogger Beba said...

This looks un real! Nature is beautiful... Have a good time there and i am sure you will enjoy mission trip there :)

1:02 AM  
Blogger bluemountainmama said...

wonderful, dani! i'm sure it WILL be an amazing experience, as it always is when we step out of our comfort zone and follow God. what an incredible setting! take LOTS of pictures to share with us when you get back! :)

i like that you all will be serving all aspects of the communtiy's needs......spiritual and physical. there are so many people in destitute situations the world over, and i like to hear about missionaries who are serving people's physical needs, too. sometimes that's the best place to start.......

i'll have to check out the link....
and thanks for answering my question. :)

10:15 AM  
Blogger Lo Kelween said...

so glad to hear God's work is everywhere! I am really encouraged. keep it up the good work and His eternal Glory.

thanks for visiting my blog and i am very happy that you like it as well :)

11:30 PM  
Blogger Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Wow - that sounds amazing - praise God for His provision! Your church has such a great ministry/mission mindset.
Three months is a long time - you will be a changed woman! :) I'll be praying.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! The Philippines! That is absolutely great and I will pray for your trip.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dani-
Have you visited Dorky Dad's blog? If you're ever in need for a good laugh, that's the place to go (one of my personnal favs is the one about the "butt doctor")

7:11 AM  
Blogger Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

How I wish I could email you...but alas, I cannot. So I will comment here! :)
In regards to your last comment on my mashed potato post, I can see that I need to read through your archives to find the story behind your hermitudical (?) life before answering the door...looking forward to getting to know you better!
And I'm so grateful that the words I have humbly written, exposing the rawness of my sinful nature, speak to anyone in any way at all. It is grace, yes?
Bless you, friend.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I appreciate all of your comments and prayers friends! Thanks for visiting. Elise, you are so very precious. Thanks for all your words of encouragement. I was wondering if I had any particular posts about my past, but I think it's randomly included sporatically throughout. I know I wrote a lot on one called "tagged by the mama"..

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you don't really have time to blog lately, but when you do, check out my blogger-friend's baby- he was born just like a week ago- and the parents are in their 40's- too cool, eh? (It's their first -and praobably only- baby).
Eddie, are you Kidding?

8:00 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Dani!

How did I miss this post? Thank you so much for writing about your trip!

I feel excitement as I think about how useful you can be for His kingdom. I like your purpose ... not only to "reach the lost with the gospel ... but to learn from them!"

Please take tons of pictures, and share them with us. I am writing you on my prayer list right now. I can't wait to hear how exciting it was to flip that switch. :-)

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home